Назва книги: The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
Автор: Jason Fung
what happens when we eat?
When we eat, we ingest more food than we can immediately use. So some of this foods needs to be stored for later use. The key hormone involved in storage and use of food is insulin, which rises during meals (carbohydrates and protein stimulates the most insulin, fat the least).
Insulin have two major factors. First, it allows immediately to start using food energy: carbohydrates turns into glucose (raising blood sugare), proteins turns to amino acids (and sometimes can also stimulate insulin), fats are absorbed as fats.
Second, insulin helps store the excess energy. Glucose molecules can be linked to longer chains called glycogen and than stored in the liver. There’s a limit of how much glycogen can be stored, and once it reached the body starts to turn glycogen into fat.
what happens when we fast?
Insulin level drops, signaling the body to start burning stored energy. Glycogen is the most easily accessible energy source and the liver stores enough of it for twenty-four hour period. After that the body start to burn down stored body fat for energy.
The body only exists in two states – the fed (high-insulin) and the fasted (low-insulin) state. Either we are storing food energy or we are burning food energy. If eating and fasting are balanced, then there is no net weight gain.
The following happens when we fast:
- insulin goes down (all food raise insulin to some level)
- electrolytes remains stable
- adrenaline increases and metabolism speeds up
- growth hormone goes up (Meals very effectively suppress the secretion of growth hormone)
Advantages of fasting:
- improves mental clarity and concentration
- induces weight and body fat loss
- lowers blood sugar levels
- improves insulin sensitivity
- increases energy
- improves fat-burning
- lowers blood cholesterol
- prevents Alzheimer’s disease
- extends life
- reverses the aging process
- decreases inflammation
Growth Hormone Goes Up
Studies show that fasting (as well as High-intensity exercises) leads to a major increase in HGH (human growth hormone) levels.
In our body, HGH peaks during puberty (статеве дозрівання) and decreases as we age. HGH increases lean muscle mass and then decreases the fat mass. Skin thickness even improves. As we age, HGH decreases and so does our lean muscle mass. Fat mass increases at HGH levels decline. Skin becomes thinner.
One study found that 3 days into a fast, HGH levels increased by over 300%. After 1 week of fasting, they had increased by a massive 1,250%. However, continuous fasting is not sustainable in the long term. Intermittent fasting is a more popular dietary approach that limits eating to brief time periods (8/16 window, etc).
Apoptosis, also known as pogrammed cell death, cells that reach a certain age are programmed to commit suicide. While this may sound kind of macabre at first, the process constatnly renews cell populations, making it essential for good health. But when just some clear cellular components need to be replaced, a process called autophagy kicks in.
Autophagy (поглинання пошкоджених або старих частин клітини) is a form of cellular cleansing: it is a regulated, orderly process of breaking down and recycling cellular components when there’s no longer enough energy to sustain them. Once all the diseased or broken-down cellular parts have been cleansed, the body can start the process of renewal. New tissues and cells are build to replace those that were destroyed. In this way, the body renews itself. But it only works if the old parts are discarded first.
Both process are necessary to kept our body running well. When these processes are hijacked, diseases such as cancer occur, and the accumulation of older cellular components may be responsible for many of the effects of aging. These unwanted cellular components build up over time if autophagocy processes are not routinely activated.
Fasting is the most effective way to trigger autophagy. Keto diet is also an effective method for sparking some autophagy.
How long should you fast to activate authopagy?
- many experts agree that the autophagy process initiates in humans after 18-20 hours of fasting, with maximal benefits occurring once the 48–72 hour mark has been reached
- 1-3 times per year of prolonged fasting (3 days) should be enough; too much autophagy is not good for your body as well
- not too many resources or studies for this subject, so treat all this info (timing to activate autophagy) as advices / assumptions
- best resource: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWn83VIZyvs
while fasting feels a natural process
The ancient Greeks believed that medical treatments could be observed from nature, and since humans, like most animals, naturally avoid eating when they become sick, they believed fasting to be a natural remedy for illness. In fact, fasting can be considered as instinct, since all animals – dogs, cats, cattle – avoid food when they sick. Think about the last time you had the flu, or even a cold. The last thing you probably wanted to do was eat. So fasting can be considered a universal human instinct for handling multiple kinds of illness. It’s truly ingrained in human heritage, and it’s as old as mankind itself.
about clear thinking during fasting
People who engage in fasting for religious or spiritual purposes often report feelings of extreme clear-headedness and physical and emotional well-being. Some even feel a sense of euphoria. They usually attribute this to achieving some kind of spiritual enlightenment, but the truth is much more down to earth and scientific than that: it’s the ketones. Ketones are a superfood for the brain. When the body and brain are fueled primarily by fatty acids and ketones, respectively, the “brain fog”, mood fluctuations in blood sugar become a thing of the past and clear thinking is the new normal.
Who shouldn’t fast:
- those who are severely malnourished or underweight
- children under eighteen years of age
- pregnant women
- breastfeeding women
Can you exercise while fasting?
Absolutely. The benefits include:
- You can train harder due to increased adrenaline.
- You’ll recover from a workout and build muscle faster due to increased growth hormone.
- You’ll burn more fat due to increased fatty acid oxidation. Train harder, build muscle, burn fat. Perfect!
The Importance of Healthy Eating
For optimal health, it is not enough to simply add fasting to your life. You must also focus on healthy eating patterns.
Eat whole, unprocessed foods
What humans haven’t evolved to eat are highly processed foods. During processing, the natural balance of macro-nutrients, fiber, and micro-nutrients is completely disrupted.
Foods should be recognizable in their natural state as something that was alive or has come of the ground. Boxes of Cheerios (солодкі пластівці) do not grow in the ground. If it comes prepackaged in a bag or a box, it should be avoided. If it has a nutritional label, it should be avoided. Real foods, whether broccoli of beef, have no labels.
The true secret to healthy eating is this: Just eat real food.
Eat more natural fats: avocado, salmon, eggs, olives, chia, nuts, sunflower seeds, meat, cheese, fatty fish, full-fat yogurt, coconut & olive oil. Eat less artificial fats: fastfood, cookies, butter.
The basics of good nutrition can be summarized in these simple rules. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. Avoid sugar. Avoid refined grains. Eat a diet high in natural fats. Balance feeding with fasting.
Top 9 Fasting Tips
- Drink water: start each morning with a full eight-ounce glass of water. It will help you start your day hydrated and set the tone for drinking plenty of fluids through the day.
- Stay busy: it’ll keep your mind off food. Try fasting on a busy workday. You may be too busy to remember to be hungry.
- Drink coffee. Coffee is a mild appetite suppressant. Green tea, black tea and bone broth may also help control appetite.
- Ride the waves: Hunger comes in waves, it is not constant. When it hits, slowly drink a glass of water or a hot cup of tea. Often, by the time you’ve finished, your hunger will have passed.
- Don’t tell people you’re fasting, most people will try to discourage you simply because the don’t understand the benefits of fasting.
- Give yourself one month. It takes time for your body to get used to fasting. The first few times will be difficult, so be prepared. Don’t get discouraged. It gets easier.
- Follow a nutritious diet on non-fasting days: intermittent fasting is not an excuse to eat whatever like. Following a low-carbohydrate diet that’s high in healthy fats can also help your body stay in fat-burning mode and make fasting easier.
- Don’t overeat. Overeating right after fasting often leads to stomach discomfort. While not serious, it can be quite uncomfortable. Eat normally, as if you had never fasted.
- Fit fasting into your own life. Do not limit yourself socially because you’re fasting. Arrange your fasting schedule so that it fits in with your lifestyle. There will be times during which it’s impossible to fast: vacation, holidays, weddings. Do not try to force fasting into these celebrations. These occasions are times to relax and enjoy. Afterwards, however, you can simply increase your fasting to compensate. Or just resume your regular fasting schedule. Adjust your fasting schedule to what makes sense for your lifestyle.
- старатись дотримуватись 16:8 режиму хоча б через те, що кількамісячні експерименти (в поєднанні з фізичною активністю та збалансованим харчуванням) показали що так я можу підтримувати своє тіло в хорошій формі і з вищою продуктивністю, особливо в післяобідній час. Інші переваги даного режиму (напротивагу частому прийому їжі протягом дня з вікном 12:12 і більше): стимулювання гормону росту (позитивний вплив на шкіру, тіло, нейрони мозку), вирівнювання інсуліну, підвищена продуктивність та концентрація, ясність думок (mental clarity)
- 2 рази в рік робити 3х денне голодування з метою чистки організму (запуск автофагії)
- не відмовлятись від застілля під час свят, бути готовим повернути вагу тіла / легкість в організму через більш інтенсивний режим фастингу пізніше
- користуватись мобільним додатком (Fasting) або позначати в календарі довгі голодування (3х денні)