Назва книги: How to Get Rich
Автор: Felix Dennis
Напевно найбільш фанова книга про бізнес, яку я читав. Вона пронизана відмінним гумором автора, безліччу історій з життя та відмінною британською англійською (з розумінням якої у мене час від часу були проблеми).
Що мені найбільше запам’яталось:
- Жити наповну (як можна чекати меншого від засновника журналу Maxim?) та розкривати себе. Мені дуже імпонує характер та світобачення Фелікса, автора книги. Вони пронизані оптимізмом, авантюризмом, прямотою та іронією.
- Люди – найважливіший капітал. Наймати людей розумінших за тебе, грамотно стимулювати та довіряти.
- Слухати себе і не робити пошук багатсва єдиною метою у житті (хіба що, тебе справді окрім грошей більше нічого не цікавить). Останні роки перед написанням книги Фелікс все менше займається бізнесом і все більше витрачає час на творчість – поезію. В How To Get Rich він часто шкодує, що не почав займатись цим раніше. Як завжди, це все про баланс.
Anyone not busy learning is busy dying.
Capitalism demands that whoever takes the most financial risk calls the piper’s tune. The biggest rewards go not to those who built the empire. They go to those entities or individuals who funded the enterprise and own the most stock. Always bear this in mind during the Search.
Despite the words of the old rock’n’roll song, the original is mot the greatest. Not always. If you want to be rich, then watch your rivals closely and never be ashamed to emulate a winning strategy. The may josh you a little for doing it, but that’s a price well worth paying.
Mistake desire for compulsion (примус, “Я маю це зробити”). Wishing for or desiring something is futile (марне) without an inner compulsion to achieve this. Such lack of compulsion, if not frankly acknowledged, can lead to great personal unhappiness.
Regular, even obsessive, cash flow monitoring is the key. I hated every minute of doing it in those early days, but if a bean-counting klutz like me could do it, then you can too.
Talent You must identify talent. Then you must move heaven and earth to hire it. You must nurture it, reward it properly and protect it from being poached. If necessary, dream a new project. Better still, get the talent to dream it up.
Youth is further factor. By the time talent is in its mid-to-late forties or early fifties, it will have become very, very expensive. Young talent can be found and underpaid for a short while, providing the work is challenging enough. Then it will be paid at the market rate. Finally, it will reach a stage where it is being paid based on past reputation alone. That is when you must part company with it.
Anybody wishing to become reach cannot do so without talent. Either their own, or far more likely, on the back of the talent of others. Talent is indispensable. Although it is always replaceable. Just remember the simple rules concerning talent: identify it, hire it, nurture it, reward it, protect it. And, when the time comes, fire it.
Without self-belief nothing can be accomplished. With it, nothing is impossible. It is as brutal as black and white as that. If you take no other memory from this book, then take that single thought. It was worth a damn sight more than the price you paid for it.
I’m one of the richest self-made men in Britain for two reasons. I own my company outright, and I began to make more baskets the minute the first had a few baskets in it.
‘Luck is preparation multiplied by opportunity’. Preparation is the key. Be prepared. Do the heavy lifting and the homework in advance. Get on with the job but remain alert enough to spot an opportunity when it arrived. Then hammer it.
To become rich you must behave as a predator. I will go further, you mu must become a predator.
Being rich is fine, and at the very least is better than being poor. But it shouldn’t be the be-all and end-all of your life, or anyone’s life. If you can laugh in the midst of early poverty and in the face of real adversity, and if you can still laugh when you’re coining it in, then you will almost certainly continue to coin it in.
Because ownership isn’t the important thing. If you want to be rich, it’s the only thing.
Getting rich isn’t difficult. But if you want to stay rich, then pay your taxes and don’t milk the cow without reporting it. End of lecture.
Get your own private advisors. The professionals who help run your company must be first class. The professionals who run your private wealth for you must be even classier. There is no substitute for a first-class laweyer, tax advisor, accountant, auditor, estate manager and business advisor. None. You will get into a ton of trouble if you don’t search them out, appoint them, and make your peace with them at the earliest opportunity. Avoid the roars I made in my first few years of being rich. Do this earlier than you think is necessary. You’ll understand why later.
Поради Фелікса по досягненню багатства
- Analyse your need. Desire is insufficient. Compulsion is mandatory.
- Cut loose from negative influences. Never give in. Stay the course
- Ignore ‘great ideas’. Concentrate on great execution
- Focus. Keep your eyes on the ball marked ‘The money is here’
- Hire talent smarter than you. Delegate. Share the annual pie
- Ownership is the real ‘secret’. Hold on to every percentage point you can.
- Sell before you need to, or when bored. Empty your mind when negotiating.
- Fear nothing and no one. Get rich. Remember to give it all away.